I had a little run-in with the realtor yesterday. Imagine an English redhead going nose to nose with an Irishman. I don’t mind conflict, it’s the yucky feeling afterwards I resent.
I’m usually an easy going person, but I have my limits, and when I reach those limits, you may as well try moving a house with your bare hands.
We have been working together to repair the house ready to put it up for sale. He has also been investigating an easement I have along the property line. So far so good. Then he ran some past sales in the area to compare to my house and it wasn’t good news. We went to look at other houses for sale comparable to mine, and he felt they were worth more. I started to feel a bit deflated.
He really pushed to get information on the easement, and was told, over the phone, that it covers between 17 and 24 feet along the length of the property. “What!!”. I told him it wasn’t right and showed him the paperwork I had. I had already built a deck inside those supposed easements, but I started to re-read everything I had regarding the property. I was also running interviews for support staff for Becky during this time. I was feeling the pressure and was a little anxious.
Yesterday, he was supposed to come over to work on the house; he didn’t. He called at 4 pm to talk about the easement. He thought I should pay $1300 for a new survey. That was it. No, no, and no! “I’m not paying for a survey, I don’t think the information you have is correct, and I don’t really want to hear about it right now!”
To me, he sounded like a broken record. I have enough of that from Becky, so I was irritated when I kept hearing, “easement, easement, easement”. We broke off the phone conversation, and I stewed all night. My biggest annoyance was that he would obtain incorrect information, over the phone, which would completely devalue my property. I didn’t want him to go any further.
We have met a couple of times today in an awkward truce. I have given him all the information I have, which is quite ambiguous. We are still waiting to receive something in writing from the utility company. How hard is it to look up a property on the computer and print out the easements? I feel powerless and I don’t like it.
If the information isn’t in my legal documents, and no-one at the utility company seems to have a straight answer, then why is he pursuing it? You tell potential buyers, as I was told, that there’s an easement. Period. End of story. Personally, I think it’s a non-issue. If the land is mine, they can’t really stop me from developing it. They have the right to protect their pipeline, of course, but for up to 24 feet of my property…I don’t think so. I’d be looking for rent and a big red flag on my title deed. The only boundaries that I think I need to be concerned about, are personal ones.