We’re just back from Toronto Zoo.  The three of us had a great day there, but Tom and I had also had a great day in Toronto last weekend when Becky was still in camp.

Last Saturday, we took the ferry over to Centre Island.  On arrival, we immediately headed over to Shopsy’s for a hotdog.  Once we’d fuelled up we walked over to Centreville, the tiny town for kids of all ages.

After a little rest, we visited the farm.

I wanted to go for a Swan Ride, but at first we could only find the real swans.

Lovely, but not what I wanted.  Apparently they had moved the ride to a different location and was still running.  We waited patiently in line in the scorching heat.  It hit about 40 degrees that day and was a lot more pleasant on the island than in the city, but still hot.  Anyway, we all had to wear life jackets

before we were allowed on the deathly swan rides in two feet of water.

I think you can see the terror on Tom’s face.

The ride was mostly spent avoiding other swans, which is trickier than it sounds.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although it would have been nice to go around the pond again, we chose to move on.  I bought an ice cream.  I don’t eat very quickly, and it was 40 degrees, so half of it melted down the cone and onto my hands.  Eewww.  Going in search of water, we ended up by the pier and went for a paddle in Lake Ontario.

Here’s Tom doing his “Local Hero” impersonation.  The water was lovely.  After ambling along for half an hour we dried off and went to the Turtle Garden.

If you go down to the woods today…

This garden isn’t named after some general species of turtle, no, it’s named after a literary turtle; Franklin the Turtle.  Tom worked here as a gardener many years ago and helped plant the garden, so it’s pretty special.  It has all of Franklin’s friends including Bear, Snail, and Beaver.

There’s an actual turtle pond and a snail mound, which is big enough for youngsters to run around in a spiral until they reach the top.

After a hot day walking and eating junk food, we called it quits and took the ferry back to civilization.  We caught a cab (very decadent) to go to the Distillery District. 

Local artisans and restauranteurs (is that a word?) have moved into the once empty distillery.  It is a charming area of Toronto, and a nice way to end the day.  As we sat eating in Mill Street Brew Pub, the storms clouds rolled in and the rain began hammering down.  We decided to stay a little longer and wait for the storm to blow over.  It didn’t, so around 10 pm we made a mad dash to the nearest taxi rank and dove into the first vehicle.  We had a great driver who talked to us about blues and jazz, while we listened to “Tuna Fish Blues”.   It was an entertaining drive back to the hotel.

Although Becky and I have spent many, many days downtown, we rarely have time to enjoy the sights.  I was able to enjoy them that day with a freedom that I rarely experience.  It was wonderful, and well worth repeating!





About chebandbecky

I was born in Birmingham, England and emigrated to Canada in 1988. Becky is my daughter who was injured in a car accident. We are working towards her independence.
This entry was posted in Family, Friends, Gardens, Life, Photos, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Toronto

  1. Tom Bradley says:

    Yeah, that was a fun day wasn’t it…hopefully it won’t take a year to do something special like that again…

  2. Nancy says:

    I love Toronto. The Island is one of my favourite places. Haven’t been yet this summer though. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. I have pictures of my daughter in Franklin’s garden. Beautiful spot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s