Goin’ Home

The adventure going home has been quite different from the one going to Arizona.

To start with, I’m on my own, which makes it difficult to navigate at times, like yesterday, when I got lost in Indianapolis for an hour. I missed a road sign and carried on straight instead of turning. I stopped and asked directions, but the person put me on the right road, in the wrong direction. I discovered this when I ended up back where I started. Talk about frustrating.

I couldn’t turn around as left turns were not allowed, like anywhere! I resorted to a U-turn in the middle of the road, and headed back to where we just came from. An hour later, I was where I wanted to be, but the sun had set. If I can’t find my way in daylight, what chance did I have at night?

The morning had started with me being pulled over for speeding; for only the second time in my life. The police officer politely explained that I was in a sixty zone, doing over seventy; ‘ooops’. He went to his car for a bit, came back and asked some questions, and then sent me on my way. I couldn’t believe it. He let me off.

The day before, I had a disagreement with a toll booth in Oklahoma. All the signs said, “correct change” which was fine until I pulled up to the un-manned pay booth which said, “coins only”. What to do with my bills? I rummaged through my purse for coins. It took a while and a line quickly developed behind me. There was no going back. An alarm went off. Was that me? I had it! I found the last quarter and threw the coins into the basket. Then I waited for my green light. And I waited, and I looked around for some clue, but all I could see was the red stop sign. I yelled at the machine, “you’ve got your money”. No reply. I’m sad to say, I ran the red light. Another alarm went off and stayed on. I waited for the toll police to come racing after me for that $1.15. I was ready for them. Nothing happened. Perhaps there will be a nasty letter when I get home. Oh well.

Today, I left my purse/handbag in the motel and didn’t notice for 20 miles. It took another 7 miles to find an exit, so a grand total of 54 miles to turn around and come back to the same spot. Well, it’s not like I’ve got anything else to do.

The cat escaped in Missouri. She has been biding her time and seized the chance. I managed to persuade her to come back, but only after she let me chase round the van three times. All this while I had the headache of headaches for three days, and Becky informs me that she has left her bank card, credit card, and health card in Tempe.

It has made the trip home a bit of a challenge, but that’s the thing with adventure; you can sometimes decide where it’s going to be, but you can’t necessarily decide what it’s going to be. Sometimes it ends up being less than entertaining while you experience it, but it always makes a good story.

About chebandbecky

I was born in Birmingham, England and emigrated to Canada in 1988. Becky is my daughter who was injured in a car accident. We are working towards her independence.
This entry was posted in Life, Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Goin’ Home

  1. Tom Bradley says:

    Oh my goodness, Cheb…you left a lot of that out in our emails…and I can see why…the adventure continues!

    • chebandbecky says:

      I was trying to collect e-mail and post a blog while standing in line at McDonalds, or anywhere that had free wifi. A bit of a juggling act…and no time to write long messages. Sorry.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s